Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the purpose of the Gates Foundation Alumni Network?
- Who is eligible to join the network?
- What are the programs and services offered by the network?
- What is the network’s relationship to the Gates Foundation?
- What is the role of the Advisory Board?
- How can I offer ideas and give feedback about the network?
- If I have HR questions related to my past employment at the Gates Foundation, who do I contact?
- Who do I reach out to if I have general questions?
Technical Issues and Support
- How do I make my profile visible or invisible to other members of the alumni network?
- Who sees my information on the network’s portal?
- How do I browse the list of members?
- How do I tag myself with keywords or add skills to my profile?
- How do I edit my profile?
- What do I do if I have forgotten my password?
- How do I change my display name?
For current Gates Foundation Employees
- As an employee, why should I join the Alumni Network?
- How can I access the network from my personal phone, tablet or PC?
The Alumni Network’s primary goal is to support connections and learning that will help to achieve the Gates Foundation’s vision: a world in which everyone has the opportunity to lead a healthy, productive life. In addition, many alumni made wonderful friends and strong professional connections during their time at the foundation. The network strives to keep or rekindle these important relationships.
Eligible current and former employees who choose to participate.
The network hosts learning communities, professional development opportunities, and networking events, in addition to providing a range of resources. The Alumni Connect newsletter and other communications are focused on sharing updates about alumni, job opportunities, and “insider” news and perspectives from the Gates Foundation, in addition to announcing network events and sharing resources. You can learn about all of the activities and resources offered by the network by exploring the Alumni Network portal.
The Gates Foundation sponsors and funds the Alumni Network, with Andrea Voytko serving as the network’s manager. In her role, Andrea Voytko leads the network’s strategy and taps foundation resources, opportunities, and expertise in ways that enrich network programming and offerings. All current employees are invited to join the network and participate in activities.
The Advisory Board helps to set the network’s strategic priorities, lead programs, and guide the operations of the network. Members serve voluntarily, meeting 3 times per year, and live and work around the world. They serve 3-year terms, renewable once. Any alumnus is eligible to serve on the board, although alumni who have been active members are prioritized during the recruitment process.
Members are encouraged to be in touch with Julianne Alarcio (email@example.com) the Alumni Network Community Manager, or Andrea Voytko (firstname.lastname@example.org) of the Gates Foundation. Also feel free email email@example.com. Ideas and feedback are welcomed!
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Julianne Alarcio (email@example.com), Alumni Network Community Manager, is happy to answer questions. If she doesn’t have the answer, she’ll connect you to the right person who can. Also feel free to submit questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Go to Privacy under My Profile
2. Click the pencil icon
3. Select your preferred profile visibility and uncheck any boxes that you do not want visible to others on the alumni network
4. Click Save
The Alumni Network portal is secure, accessible through registration only. It is visible to other alumni and current employees who choose to join the network.
1. Click Directory
2. Use any of the filters to narrow your search and click Search
To add skills to your profile:
- Go to My Profile
- Hover over the Skills section
- Click the pencil icon
- Add Skills comma separated
- Click Save
To edit information already on your profile:
- Go to My Profile
- Hover over the information you want to edit and click either the three dots followed by Edit or Delete, or the pencil icon
- Confirm your action by clicking Save or Cancel
To add new information to your profile:
- Go to My Profile
- Click the plus icon (+) next to the section you want to add information
- Confirm by clicking Save
1. Click the “Reset Password?” link in the Member Login section on the logged-out landing page
2. On the Reset Password page enter your primary e-mail address and enter the answer to the math problem displayed below the email field
3. Click Submit
4. A login link will be sent to the primary e-mail address associated with your account. This link will only be valid for 7 days.
5. Click the link to create a new password.
1. Go to My Profile
2. Hover over your name and click on the pencil icon
3. Enter your preferred display name
4. Click Save
Great question! While becoming a member of the network is strictly opt-in for employees, you are encouraged to join for the following reasons: 1) to stay connected with your colleagues and friends; 2) to learn from your colleagues, many of whom continue to work on foundation issues and/or are employed by foundation grantees; 3) to take advantage of the network’s programming and professional development opportunities. Every employee, at some point, will leave the foundation. The network will enable you to keep your connection to the foundation’s mission and colleagues for a lifetime.
When your account was auto-created during your first use of the portal, an auto-generated password was also created for you. In order to access the portal from a personal device such as a phone, tablet, or PC, you need to do a one-time reset of your password, changing it from the auto-generated one to one that you know and remember.
1. From any device, go to https://alumni.gatesfoundation.org and click “Reset Password?”
2. Type in your BMGF email address and the text verification code.
3. An email will be sent to your BMGF email address with a link to change the password.
4. Click the link and follow the instructions to reset your password.
5. Once this is completed you can use any device to log into the alumni portal by going to https://alumni.gatesfoundation.org and logging in with your email address (email@example.com) and your password.